Monday, March 19, 2012

Brave New World Of Wall Art

My all time favorite novel is Brave New World by Auldous Huxley. I read it all the time and always seem to get something more from it each time.

However, this is not a book blog, this is not Voracious Lu. If you want to read my thoughts on the book, head there, or better yet, read it yourself, you won't be disappointed.

There is a passage in the book that I love so much that I have memorized it and now write it down on everything I own. Including the back of a broken dresser that was on its way to the dumpster.

This project is very easy but extremely time consuming, it took me about a week and a half to finish including two nights where I was up until 3 in the morning. Yep, just another wild weekend at Lu's house.

Let's get you started!

Choose your base. Start with any piece of scrap wood, canvas, or MDF board.

Choose your words. Carefully. I chose a very long and difficult passage to start with and am quite happy with the results but there were moments when I was overwhelmed and wanted to throw the whole thing back in the dumpster. Long words are also a problem when it comes to spacing, so keep that in mind.

Choose your paint. I used cheapo acrylic paint. I mixed several colors to create the shade that I wanted which seemed like a brilliant idea until it came time to mix more. If you know that the painting process will take place over a couple of days, I suggest using just one color so you don't have spend so much time recreating the exact match. Unless you want a bunch of different shades, that's your choice. I'm not here to judge.

You will need to have stencils for the letters. I chose 2 inch Gothic style.

Crafters be warned: measure twice, stencil once.

Take the extra time to figure out how much space you need and which words will be on which lines. I learned this the hard way (of course) and spent a lot of time erasing lines and air punching in frustration.

Once the letters were on, it was paint time. I used a quarter inch paintbrush which worked well with the 2 inch letters. This is the part that takes up so much time but just relax into it and enjoy the process. And above all, don't let anybody help you, especially friends that wander into your place after the bar at 2 am wanting to help out. Look at the last H is you need proof of this. You will feel a great satisfaction when your work is completed that you did it single-handedly.

In the end, it all fit. I was happy.


Not happy in a grand way.

But happy nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment